What Are the Different Types of Vape Juice?

Are you new to vaping? Maybe you have vaped for a while but haven’t explored all there is to vape juice. Whether you call it e-liquid, e-juice or vape juice, it’s all the same thing; it’s the fluid used as fuel for your vaping device. Vapes have been around for about 20 years, and there are several different types of devices to use.

What about the e juice itself? Vape juice can be boiled down to 4 common components:

  • VG – Vegetable Glycerin
  • PG – Propylene Glycol
  • Nicotine
  • Flavouring

Let’s go over the different types of vape juice.

Vape Juice Ingredients

Vegetable Glycerin

VG comes from coconuts, soybeans and palm oils and is a clear, odourless liquid used in cosmetics, pharmaceuticals and food and is common in soap, deodorant, lotion and even candles. As an ingredient in vaping, VG creates a large amount of vapour.

Propylene Glycol

This is a food-safe chemical used as a food additive to prevent moisture. You also find it in cosmetics, medications and industrial products like antifreeze. PG is a good carrier for nicotine and flavouring for vaping, and you get a bigger throat hit the higher the PG level.


Nicotine is a naturally occurring chemical derived from tobacco and other plants but can also be made synthetically. It is a highly addictive substance, and you can get vape juice with or without it.


This is part of the allure of vaping; it’s that taste. They are lab-created food-grade flavours to ensure no impurities and are appropriate for heating. You can also get unflavoured vape juice. Around 90% of vape juice is PG or VG, with the remaining 10% nicotine and flavouring.

Different Vape Juice Ratios

Your vape juice ratio refers to the amount of VG and PG in the liquid. As you experiment with different ratios, you’ll discover what you like best, based on flavour delivery and the amount of vapour.

PG Based

These juices typically have higher nicotine levels and give you a more intense throat hit. They feel similar to smoking, and the first e-liquids were all PG and no VG, so it is a good way to transition off smoking cigarettes. They were pretty harsh, so the vaping industry started combining both.

PG 70/30 is a common ratio of PG/VG, and it still is a simulated feeling of smoking without being able to generate big clouds or do tricks.

VG Based

VG-based juice is the way for those who want to have fun and produce large vapour clouds. The thick clouds come from a 60% PG ratio and above using a higher temperature. This also means the nicotine level is lower. You typically will be able to inhale more vapour, and it will be a richer flavour. 70/30 and 80/20 are common blends.

50% PG and 50% VG

This is a smooth ratio that is typically used in MTL devices. Mouth to lung (MTL) vaping is where you draw vapour into your mouth first before inhaling it into your lungs. You get a good hit with decent flavour while still being able to produce smoke.

Max VG

This ratio has the most VG content possible with very little PG. You won’t get a strong taste as PG carries the flavour, but the clouds will be massive. Cloud chasers and competition cloud chasers use Max VG.

Nicotine Salt

This is a pure form of nicotine for a more intense flavour. This provides the hit they need for heavy smokers, and you get more nicotine with less vapour. It comes in various flavours and usually has a 50/50 PG/VG ratio.

Short Fills

Short fills are bottles of nicotine-free liquid where you can choose to add your nicotine shot because there is room left in the bottle. It is a way to sell larger bottles that can have nicotine.


For most people, the flavour is among the most important thing in your vape juice. There are thousands of different flavours out there, with more getting added all the time, and it is very overwhelming. They boil down to a few categories:

  • Fruity Flavours: Everything from pineapple to strawberry and everything in between.
  • Tobacco Flavours: These can be sweet, menthol, spiced and other added scents.
  • Candy Flavours: Do you like chocolate bars? How about candy? You can get flavours mimicking all your favourite treats, from smarties to kitkats.
  • Drink Flavours: Think about your favourite cocktails, soda pops, milkshakes, and slushies.
  • Dessert Flavours: How about a cinnamon bun or apple pie? The range of dessert options is amazing and includes ice cream, cakes and tarts.

And the list can go on and on!

THC Vape Juice

There’s a juice for those who want to consume THC in their vape. It is just an addition to the regular ingredients and will give you the common effects of consuming cannabis, including:

  • Drowsiness
  • Euphoria
  • Hunger
  • Distorted senses

It can be a safer method of inhaling marijuana because there is no smoke, only vapour and added flavours make it more enjoyable. Enjoy your vaping and try different types of vape juice to find your favourites so you can have a better experience.